Monday, December 3, 2012

DIY: Dream Catcher Mobile




Dream catchers were traditionally given to babies to keep away bad dreams. The dream catchers were made with sticks weaved into the shape of a circle and sinew was used as the webbing. As the sinew dried it shrunk, thus breaking the hoop. The dream catcher breaking was a sign that the baby didn't need protection from bad dreams anymore. 
  
 When I was pregnant I thought my baby should have a dream catcher to look at because it is such a beautiful tool. I gathered up some materials and made him a beautiful bright red dream catcher with paper windmills hanging from it. After my baby was born I hung it above the change table. He absolutely loves it! smiles at it every time and loves it when I spin it around for him. After seeing that I think all babies should have a dream catcher mobile. So I started to make this pink dream catcher for someone I went to school with who had a daughter a week after I had my son.

 you will need: 
  • scissors
  • hoop
  • yarn for webbing (any string will do but the thicker the better for baby to see)
  • some kind of material to wrap around the hoop (fabric, yarn, etc.)
  • crochet hook (optional to make the hanging string)
  • bag of broken jewelry or anything nice to look at (to hang from the dream catcher mobile)
  1. wrap material around hoop until completely covered then securely tie it
  2. tie string to hoop
  3. use your string to make dream catcher: make a loop with string by wrapping it around the hoop about two-three inches away from where you tired the string. Then pull the string out of the loop you just made (look at pictures for help). continue going around until you reach the middle then tie off whatever way you think is secure (I weave the string through the middle then tie it)
  4. evenly tie four strings (or two long strings) on the hoop so it can hang from the ceiling. I chained 130 with a 6.5mm crochet hook


Tie the material together when you finish wrapping it around the hoop


 continue until you get to this step (below).
 Repeat going through the loops on the hoop until you reach the middle
it should look like this picture below now 
Finally evenly tie the four strings (or two strings) evenly spaces in four spaces of the hoop.  

info: I taught myself how to make a dream catcher when I was 8 years old by studying my dream catcher my mom bought for me. In 2003 when I was 11 years old I made a dream catcher wreath for Christmas (garlands and Christmas ornaments hanging from it) and my mom sold them at a Christmas fair for $25-$35 each. Just thought I'd share that idea with you. Some other ideas would be to tie left over materials around the hoop, weave around  the hoop with cedar bark or cloth, or crochet around the hoop. Some other ideas would be to hang whatever you want from it such as christmas ornaments (non-glass), stuff animals, origami,  fall leaves, just be creative